Digital Humanity

Today I travelled about 10 different countries around the world, most of them from the African continent.

I went to Kigali, Rwanda with Nicolas Gatambi who has a passion for travelling and meeting new people. His second name is Niyinbzi, which means 'God only knows'.

I took a mental trip with Albert from Kampala, Uganda and found out that this young, gifted black web designer started a fast growing online Technology magazine (PCTechMagazine.com)

I met an quiet spirit who advocates for peace using social media (Facebook), as part of a 2007-established organisation - Youth For Change.. His passion is community and his only challenge is not being able to make all the changes he's like.

I travelled to Abuja, Nigeria witha young man who runs IT capacity building camps for women and children. Aside from reading, his passion is working with young people and maximising their potential.

I went to Harare, Zimbabwe with Paidamoyo who comes from a huge family of 5 brothers and 3 sisters -- excluding him...don't mess with him! His passion is human rights and people. He dreams that Zim could go back to basics - the fundamental respect for human rights and that the economy will be as strong as it once was. I share his sentiment when he says Zimbabweans are a resilient and innovative people.

These and other young people have done soooo much to effect social change already. I haven't even begun to tell you about my friend Simeon who founded an open source digital literacy organisation in Nairobi, Kenya. A true geek - into gadgets, tools etc. What an inspiring guy!

My heartbeats at an impressive rate, I can't believe all the information at my disposal. So proud to be a pART of this. Am blessed!

Will keep you updated on more of these 'digital natives' I will be connecting with.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Nonkululeko. I was looking for blogs about social change and found yours. I am a journalist in Sweden who is actually going to Cape town in a few weeks to study. I found your blog very interesting and will keep reading what you have to say and maybe find out about some events that is coming up in Cape town while I am there. Thanks!
Unknown said…
wow sister, i like the way you express yourself and maybe government must support your work by funding reading and writing clinics for the majority of children and youth who are now more into short message text writing and reading, than taking these eloquent journeys in mind, heart and hand to express themselves. i vote for nkuli to set up reading and writing clinics, you great sister

Popular Posts