How Boot Camp makes me a better parent



I've never been one for exercise. At school I didn't take part in any sport. Of course I was there to watch all the boys run and support my sporty friends, but never actually took part. Fast forward to adult life, I've had more gym memberships than boyfriends. I've even attempted to be a dancer, going to dance classes. And non-commitment was at the base of all of them, which is why it could never work.

Pic by Michelle Rozowsky
Truth is, I really didn't need to work out before. I had a great athletic body and a fast metabolism. I even shrunk right back to my body after my first born son. Then I gave birth to my other son, Taiwa – right after turning 30 and about a year into my marriage to a great cook. I was in for a shock... I had put on an insane amount of weight and it wasn't melting away fast enough (even with breastfeeding).
6 weeks after Taiwa’s birth, I joined Adventure Boot Camp. I’d seen the ads and a friend recommended it. Given my track record, I figured I’d probably stick around a few months or until the weight had melted off. I was in for another shock...

I have just completed my fourth camp (each camp lasts for 4 weeks and then there’s a week or 2 weeks break in between camps) and immediately signed up for my 5th camp. I am addicted to boot camp and have now embraced a lifestyle of healthy eating and living. This particular form of exercise is here to stay!

I have shed some kilos, lost some cms and am feeling great. The most important change however, has been my increased energy levels. I finally have enough energy for my boys!
I used to be quite lethargic– mostly from sleep deprivation but also from inactivity. This meant that spending time with my kids was a constant negotiation for my toddler to sit still and a race to get the infant to go to sleep quickly, so that mommy can get some time to relax. This of course wasn't always up to me, so I’d end up losing my mind. Basically, my husband knew better than to leave me alone with the kids.

After 5 months of boot camp, I am now able to:


  • Juggle the boys, cook (a healthy meal) and even attempt to blog in one day.
  • Carry both my boys (something both of them love) at the same time. The older one is big enough to walk on his own, but desperate situations (i.e. public tantrums) call for a quick scoop and go.
  • Wake up to feed the baby and then wake up again to get ready for school run and work. AND still have enough energy to last a full day and go to boot camp after work.
  • Collapse into a deep sleep for about 4 – 6 hours – until it’s my turn to wake up and do the early-morning feed.
  • Play/gym with the boys. Have the toddler do some cardio, Pilates on the floor for the infant and some dancing along to nursery rhymes. After all this activity, the boys are more than likely going to collapse after bath time – no negotiation necessary. This gives me time to wind down too.
  • Have conversations with colleagues and friends who are on a similar health journey about working out and eating right. We can share tips / advice and even encourage each other to stay on the right track.
  • Get support from my husband. He’s just happy that I am more pleasant now and have an exercise regime that I've actually stuck to. He’s also happy to join in on the healthy eating and walks on afternoons when I’m not at boot camp, as well as on weekends. We even do power walks (uphill) and I’m able to keep up.
  • Look at myself in the mirror and be impressed by the progress. I am nowhere near my goal weight or body but I now know I can and will get there.

Watch this space for more updates :-) 

Comments

Unknown said…
SO great to read about your journey. I must say I am already dreading the juggling and busyness of handling two toddlers, but I'm certain they bring more joy than just that. I look forward to it. And wishing you all the best with everything.
P.S I have been on a journey of health and it's the best decision
Hey lady! Thank you for your feedback. Truly appreciate it. It's been a rollercoaster of emotions - mostly good. I haven't looked back. I'm pretty sure you'll make an incredible mother.

Popular Posts