Diary of a sleep-deprived, overworked woman (clutching at her sanity)


I'm not coping.

My nerves are shot. Probably because I haven't been sleeping well. My life right now (thanks to COVID-19) is like an endless Zoom meeting. Even in my 'sleep', I'm actively solving work challenges. The continuum between remote work (from home) and my home life, which now includes monitoring and assisting the children with remote schooling at home, as well as figuring out how to be more efficient with household shopping - so I can avoid public retail spaces as much as possible.

Exercise? Don't even go there. I think the most exercise I get right now is the tossing and turning in my sleep. Between all I need to get done, I don't know where the days go most of the time, and at times I can't tell my Wednesdays apart from my Fridays.

So, no. I'm not coping. I know I'm not the only one. So many of my colleagues and friends are going through very similar imbalances, anxiety and even messed up sleep patterns. We're collectively unravelling.

Before the lockdown, one of my favourite ways to unwind was to go away. Literally, escape. I would book myself a spa treatment with an overnight or weekend stay option. I would actually look forward to the change of scenery. Those super thick curtains that block out light and make sleeping in possible. I would also look forward to putting up a DO NOT DISTURB sign, away from my usual wakeup call – the sound of my two boys fighting or playing loudly in the morning. Most importantly, I would look forward to the sleep – in that luxurious, crisp white bedding, dreamy pillows and their incredibly comfortable beds.



A friend of mine, Zodwa used to tell me repeatedly how the things that made her happiest was her an insane number of white socks, so that she could have a clean pair every day. She wanted a crisp white shirt for as many days of the workweek as possible, and she wanted nothing but fresh white linen for her bedding. She told me, that's why she works as hard as she does – so she can spoil herself with those three things.I used to think she was being "extra" with her white luxurious linen obsession (I strangely understood the other stuff). Now that I don't have my hotel escape room with the white bedding and comfortable bed, I'm drawn to the idea of recreating the hotel room experience in my own home.

Naturally, I went online for advice on recreating the hotel experience in my own bedroom. Here's what they advise.

The lighting

Curtains are definitely a thing when creating a hotel vibe. I'd need to layer the curtain with sun-filtering light curtains, then follow with a heavier, black-out effect curtain. I can also add a lovely soft-light bedside reading lamp.

The Bedding 

Interior Designer, Wendy Hammerman, suggests that crisp, clean, freshly laundered sheets make for great staycation triggers. She adds that a cozy down comforter and a feather mattress topper, as well as lots of fluffy pillows are winners – "the fluffier, the better". If I really want to add a décor vibe, I can add a throw at the end of the bed for a pop of colour or homey feel.

"Look for sheet thread counts higher than 500. We always purchase white for ease of cleaning – and they always just look fresh and inviting," says real estate consultant, Karen Otto. She adds that absorbent white bath towels go a long way to giving it a 5-star hotel feel.

On another note, did you know that a few international hotel chains (such as the European Marriott) actually sell their hospitality amenities to the public? Who knew?!

Last but definitely not least, I need to invest in a good mattress. I'm going to take my friend Zodwa's advice and use my hard-earned money to invest in much-needed goodnight's sleep. I've been doing some digging into South African bedding companies that have hospitality-standard mattresses. What I've seen is that Sealy even has an entire range of hotel-type beds.

Then I need to work on quietening my noisy brain. The few times I've done meditation or yoga, I've come out feeling like I've slept for days and really relaxed. I desperately need that right now.


Comments

Popular Posts