Everyday (S)heroes Episode 3>

Kemong Mochela: The kind-hearted, soulful hip hop head (aka Common’s side-chick).


You're looking good. And happy! What makes 30s-ville so awesome?
Long story short, I used to be so insecure about being knock-kneed (It used to consume my whole being). Whenever people praised me, I'd always point out that I have ikiss-kiss (knock-knees) before saying, "Thank you". Somewhere between becoming a first-time mom and turning 30, I developed a confidence that surprises me sometimes. I've learnt to speak up when something makes me uncomfortable and tell people off without being worried about being called a, "bitch". But I now realise that who I am now is who I've always wanted to be. Living in 30s-Ville gave me the courage to work tirelessly on the woman I am today.

That's beautiful! What do you like most about Kemong? (If you do say so yourself)
I can't quite put my finger on it. I guess there's so much hype around turning that 30, that when you finally do, you're like: I need to make these the best years of my life. Did I mention that 80% of my wardrobe now proudly shows off my trademark kiss-kiss?
I love that in a world where people think that being humble is a weakness, humility guides my everyday decisions. As I'm typing this, I'm reminded of a line from an India Arie track that goes: "How can love survive in such a graceless age?" I am kind yazi, even if I have to say so myself.

[finger snap]
Yeeeees
Singaphela yaz'!

Crazy that you had all these insecurities. I've always thought you were hot! Maybe you should go into acting! 30s-ville is also about feeling the loss deeply (of all sorts)... what do you miss most about your 20s?
I was a born a get-up-and-go kind of person. I miss friends saying for instance: "Let's travel to Brazil next month and me emptying out my savings and borrowing money from my mom to make the trip happen. Now that I'm a mom and wife, I always think twice about doing as I please.

How do you unwind?
Reading, while rocking my swimwear around the house (don't ask, I find it so liberating) πŸ™ˆ

*Haha!*

What are you currently reading?
I've been trying to finish Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Americanah since May last year. Don't judge! It's one of those books that I study instead of read.
  
What would (will) the title of your book be?
If Women Loved Each Other Enough [Powerful!]
Writing intimidates me though, all of a sudden. Even though I've been writing for a living for the past 11 years.

­­
­­­­­­­Growing up, what did you want to be?
A biomedical engineer. Then Higher Grade Maths happened.

Haha! It's not too late…
Naaaah πŸ˜… I don't remember half the things I learnt in high school.

Complete the sentence: I used to think that.... Now I see that....
I used to think that having hair made me really pretty....Now I see that… comfort = true beauty.
[Another finger snap x3!]

Ande iyakufanela i-short hair (short hair suits you). Growing up, did they call you at home?
Nono....My late (and favourite uncle) referred to me as Nono until his last days in 2013 -- that used to make my soul do cartwheels.

A vivid memory of you growing up with your siblings?
My brothers spent their teen years in Qwaqwa (at the time, it meant growing up with no TV as there was no electricity). Everytime they came home for the school holidays, I'd slip into their bed in the mornings and fill them in on what had been happening on TV. I owe much of my cool Sesotho accent to them.

When you leave this world, what do you hope to be known for?
For having written a book that will hopefully change the way women interact with each other. I've been in the company of women who genuinely got along within moments of being introduced....and have always thought to myself: "I want to see more of these moments because they really make me happy!".

Kemong and I at my wedding. The love is palpable.

Best of Kemong:

Bali or New York?
New York! I always tell my husband that I refuse to have a second child before visiting NYC.
[Co-sign!]

What's the first place you'll visit when you hit New York City?
Hunt Common down. Jokes! Probably a spot that plays soulful hip hop. Hip hop gigs in Joburg are heartbreakingly scarce πŸ˜•.

Common or Mos Def?
Tough one πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜… I love Common but Mos Def's lyrics crack me up. It's a tie! *Scratches head*

That was a bit unfair... I'll admit. That's kind of like asking, Tumi or Reason?
Common is that good guy you know you should settle down with and Mos Def is that you can't ignore. Ok, that's a silly analogy.

I was kind of enjoying that analogy... So… Tumi or Reason?
HaπŸ˜…

I had to...
Reason for his flow and honest lyrics.

Which album have you bought and lost (read: had stolen) more than once?
Maleh's debut album, Stepchild.

How many times have you had to buy it?
Twice. A hard copy and on iTunes.

iPod or CD player?
CD player. I'm old school like that.

What's the last song you played on your CD player?
 Dirty Man by Joss Stone.

Twitter or Instagram?
Instagram.... Twitter masses are always ready to fight, even when it's completely unnecessary. I find the energy there sooo draining. Lol!

Thank you for opening up and letting me into other pArts of you. It's been really cool chatting.

It also reminded me of my favourite pastime... getting to know people (even the ones you thought you knew).

*Everyday (S)heroes is an conversation series with some really fascinating, lovely, smart women I know. I'm really looking forward to filling this blog with a lot of amazing WILD WOMEN. This is the third in the series. Link to the previous one here

Comments

Popular Posts